A family of seven, including a 93-year-old woman and a four-year-old child, has been left homeless and without food after their homestead burnt to the ground on Tuesday morning.
The incident occurred at Oshikondiilongo village in Oshana’s Okatyali constituency.
Speaking to The Namibian, Vilho Andreas, one of the residents of the house, said the four-year-old child reportedly started the fire while the family was preparing breakfast.
Andreas said the entire house, national documents, food, clothes, and children’s schoolbooks, were destroyed by the fire.
Family members were unable to extinguish the fire because there was not enough water in the house.
“We rushed to get water from the nearby wells, but we could not manage to extinguish the fire,” Andreas said.
Andreas urged the government and individuals to assist the family with clothes, food, and blankets.
Okatyali constituency councillor Joseph Mupetami said he has not yet visited the family but will be sending an official on Wednesday.